Class 9 - Chemistry
(a) Give two symbols which have been derived from the"English names"of the elements.
(b) Give two symbols which have been derived from the "Latin names"of the elements.
Questions and Answers
Atoms and Molecules - Questions
1. Give examples of triatomic molecules.
2. What is valency of an element?
3. What is gram-atomic mass of an element?
4. What is the mass of
(a) 1 mole of nitrogen atoms?
(b) 4 moles of aluminium atoms (Atomic mass of aluminium = 27)?
(c) 10 moles of sodium sulphite (Na2
5. Hydrogen and oxygen combine in the ratio of 1:8 by mass to form water. What mass of oxygen gas would be required to react completely with 3 g of hydrogen gas?
6. Fill in the blanks:
Mass of 2 Hydrogen atoms is __________.
7. Fill in the blanks:
The atomic mass of sodium is 23. The gram atomic mass of sodium is _________.
8. Fill in the blanks:
_________ are building block of all matter.
9. Fill in the blanks:
Atoms can be observed using ____________ Microscope.
10. Who proposed the chemical notation based on first two letters of the name of the element?
11. Name the international organization who approves names of elements.
12. Name the element having following Latin names
13. What is the atomic mass unit?
14. What is relative atomic mass of an element? How it is related to atomic mass unit?
15. Fill in the blanks:
An element has only one type of __________.
16. Fill in the blanks:
____________ is formed by the loss of one or more electrons by an atom.
17. What are polyatomic ions? Give examples?
18. Give the names of the elements present in the following compounds.
(a) Quick lime
(b) Hydrogen bromide
(c) Baking powder
(d) Potassium sulphate.
19. What is Formula Unit Mass? How it is different from molecular mass?
20. Calculate the formula unit masses of ZnO, Na2
, given atomic masses of Zn = 65 u, Na = 23 u, K = 39 u, C = 12 u, and O = 16 u.
21. What is gram-molecular mass of a substance?
22. What is molar mass?
23. When 'mole' was chosen internationally standard way to express larger number of chemical units?
24. Give an example to show Law of conservation of mass applies to physical change also.
A 0.24 g sample of compound of oxygen and boron was found by analysis to contain 0.096 g of boron and 0.144 g of oxygen. Calculate the percentage composition of the compound by weight.
26. Fill in the blanks:
The number of atoms present in 12 grams of carbon 12 which is equal to __________atoms . This is also known as ____________.
27. Fill in the blanks:
Atomic radius is measured in __________.
28. Fill in the blanks:
A negatively charged ion is called a/an _____________.
29. What is the significance of a chemical symbol?
Define molecule. What are its important properties?
31. Fill in the blanks:
According to Dalton's atomic theory, atoms of different elements differ in ______, size and chemical properties.
32. Fill in the blanks:
The chemical symbol of flourine is ________.
Based on type of substance, how molecules are classified?
34. Fill in the blanks:
Hydrogen and oxygen combines to form H2
O and H2
. These two compounds obey the law of ____________________.
35. What is meant by the term chemical formula?
36. Write down the formulae of
(i) sodium oxide
(ii) aluminium chloride
(iii) sodium suphide
(iv) magnesium hydroxide
37. Write the chemical formulae of the following. Also identify the ions present.
(a) Magnesium chloride
(b) Calcium oxide
(c) Copper nitrate
(d) Aluminium chloride
(e) Calcium carbonate.
38. How many atoms are present in a
S molecule and
39. (a) Write a chemical formula of a compound using zinc ion and phosphate ion.
(b) Calculate the ratio by mass of atoms present in a molecule of carbon dioxide.
(Given C =12, O =16)
40. Who introduced the term 'mole' in chemistry?
41. Convert into moles: (a) 12 g of oxygen gas (b) 20 g of water (c) 22 g of carbon dioxide
42. Calculate the number of molecules of phosphorus (P4
) present in 31 gram of phosphorus.
43. What is the law of conservation of mass?
44. Explain with example that law of conservation of mass is valid for chemical reactions.
45. What are the postulates of Dalton's atomic theory?
46. Fill in the blanks:
The mass of 5 moles of ammonia (NH3
) is __________.
47. Which of the following statements is NOT true about an atom?
(a) Atoms are the building blocks from which molecules and ions are formed.
(b) Atoms cannot exist independently.
(c) Atoms are neutral in nature
(d) Atoms combine together to form matter that we can see, feel or touch.
48. What is the chemical symbol for iron?
49. Can atoms of an element exist independently? Give examples of elements which exist in atomic form. Give examples of elements that do not exist in atomic form.
50. Magnesium is two times heavier than C-12 atom, what shall be the mass of Mg atom in terms of atomic mass units? (Given mass of C-12 atom = 12u)
General Knowledge Quiz
3001 Bizarre Facts
Elementary English Grammar Test
Standard English Grammar Test
Advanced English Grammar Test
Daily English Quiz
ESL / EFL Test
Quantitative Aptitude Test
iQ Quiz Game
Verbal Reasoning Quiz - Mind Game
English Question Answer
Vocabulary Game 1
Vocabulary Game 2
Scramble Word Game
Basic English Usage
Interview Questions and Answers
Educational Quiz Games